So, last night my guild went to Molten Core. It was a great piece of nostalgia. From the perspective of someone who is now 70, there are some things that have changed, some things that still hold true, and some things which I had completely forgotten.
Things that have changed:
- It's perfectly viable to have one 70 protection paladin tank things that used to take 5 tanks and 4 off-tanks (mages, warlocks, etc.) like Major Domo Executus (tanked single-handedly by a paladin) or Garr (tanked by our feral druid/protection paladin team).
- Getting an unexpected add of Lava Annihilator, Lava Surger or even 2 Molten Giants is no longer an insta-wipe.
- One DPS class (like an elemental shaman) pulling a pack of imps leading to Lucifron doesn't immediately cause a party wipe.
- Fifteen raid members is perfectly viable -- even if some of them are low 60's types.
- Four healers for fifteen raiders is probably overkill. One of the healers could have brought a DPS alt.
- Paladins and Bears can actually tank and tank effectively.
- Shadow is a viable spec for a priest.
- Passing out water or healthstones is mega-super easy and doesn't require addons (like Vending Machine).
Things that are still true:
- Curses and magic effects still suck. For priests the addition of Mass Dispel cleans up a lot of the cursing duties, but there's still a ton of cleansing to do.
- Sulfuron Harbinger's adds still heal if you don't separate them. Instead of doing it the "right" way, we wound up running them out of mana.
- Packs of five core hounds still have to die at nearly the same time. We had one re-ignite problem. This reignition winds up getting the hounds out of synch health-wise and causes some rather serious problems.
- If you don't focus on the adds a boss brings with him, you're going to run into issues.
Things that I had forgotten:
- Lava cores and fiery cores drop from packs pretty regularly.
- Major Domo's chest isn't assignable via master looter.
- The gear drops are (nearly) all class restricted. Classes were only meant to have one viable spec before BC (Druids, Paladins, Shamans and Priests are all healers. Warriors are all tanks.)
- some pretty cool patterns drop in MC.
All in all, it was very fun. I went in there on my priest hoping to see one thing drop - The Eye of Divinity. I know that Anathema/Benediction is a completely underwhelming staff at 70, but I've always wanted one. Luckily, I had the Eye of Shadow from a long time ago, so now all I need to do is the quest.