Today I’m continuing the mini-series of PVP from the viewpoint of the Marksman Hunter. I’ll cover each class and what you should look for each of them to do. We continue today with Rogues.
Rogues are sneaky buggers. A good rogue will fight on his (or her) terms and not on yours. Your primary goal when trying to kill these dudes is to shift the terms to your own. Stun will quite often be their primary means of locking you down, and if you can mitigate that, a rogue will sometimes not know how to deal with it.
Things to watch for:
- You can trinket out of stun. Doing so and dropping a freezing trap can get you back to range.
- Hunter’s Mark forces them to use Cloak of Shadows prior to vanishing. If you can catch them between the Cloak and Vanish and apply a Serpent Sting, you’ve just caused them to waste a cool down. The other thing to consider is that Cloak has a longish cool down (at least in the time frames associated with PVP) and it will not always be available to a rogue.
- During fights where they aren’t vanishing, Scorpid Sting will cause them to miss more which translates to fewer crits.
- Stoneform (if you’re a dwarf) removes poisons or bleed effects on you.
- A pet on aggressive will sometimes spot a rogue in stealth before you do.
- If you happen to see a stealthed rogue, a Scatter Shot can set you up for moving to range. Rogues hate range, hunters love it..
- Evasion is a buff that can be Arcane Shotted off.
- Kiting a rogue can work. Use your movement impairing (Wing Clip, Frost Trap, Scatter Shot, Concussive Shot) abilities to keep them at range.
- When you have a rogue at distance, be prepared for them to Shadowstep, putting them instantly behind you. You won’t necessarily know they have this as there isn’t a good way to tell one rogue spec from another.
- If a rogue saps or gouges you, don’t become paralyzed. Your pet is still able to lay the smack-down on the rogue.
- Track hidden seems to work better if you’ve seen and/or targeted the rogue prior to them going into stealth. (I have no real evidence of this other than anecdotal.)
- Feigning death sometimes fools the rogue allowing you to get up and freezing trap them.