SaladFork of Omen of Clarity fame posted a list of five questions about Add-ons in the Blogstorming section of BlogAzeroth. Since I'm good at lists, I thought I'd pick up the challenge and go with it.
- How many addons do you have?
- What addons can you not live without?
- If you met someone new to the game using the default UI, what addons would you recommend they start with?
- What are important qualities you look for when you look for new addons?
- How do you usually find new addons? Are they recommended to you? Do you search for them? Are they required by your guild?
- What sort of layout does your UI have?
The addons I can't live without are, a threat meter (Omen), better Unit Frames (DUF/sRaid Frames), and some bar mod (Bongos).
For a total newbie to UI modification, I'd start them with Mazzle if I could talk them into it. If not, they must absolutely have a threat meter. Useful only in groups (unless playing a hunter or lock), nothing says "Hey, I know what I'm doing" more than a threat meter.
For new add-ons, I always look for the Ace alternative. Since so many of my mods are Ace mods, I like to keep it in the family.
I usually find new add-ons through word of mouth. And for me, "word of mouth" includes reading others blogs and listening to the few podcasts I actually remember to download.
Layout for me, is pretty much built into Mazzle. But I think it's a clean compilation which puts important information in the right places. It keeps the center of the field of view open so you can see the most important thing -- what's going on in game without hiding it behind addon windows.
So, that's my post. I hope this is my welcome back to regular blogging!!
So. Here's a shot of my UI...With the bonus of the bottom of Karazhan included...