One of my co-workers asked me to write something about "what you do between 60 and the end game." He went on to say "I've got the leveling game down, but I'm not sure what lies ahead of me."
And he does have the leveling part down. At least up to mid forties. He's got (at most recent count) 24 alts of various levels. He has also never played old-world end-game. His newbie druid was merely level 20 when Burning Crusade came out. He never had to worry about attunements for Molten Core, Onyxia, Blackwing Lair & Naxxramas. He never spent too much money on raid consumables. He never spent weeks learning a particular encounter. He is a raid noob.
So, let me answer his questions the best I can. There are a couple things that would-be raiders need to keep in mind. There are also a couple of questions you should already have answered.
- What is my end-game spec? Will I heal or DPS or tank?
- What are the five most important stats for my end game build? Can I order these hierarchically?
- Am I ready to be away from the "Old World" cities for long stretches? Can I avoid going to the auction house, bank, trainers in the Old World? Do I have an alt that can perform these duties for me?
- Have I done some research about what gear I'd like to pick up from various quests, instances, mobs? Someone wrote an awesome guide to having a wish list on their blog and dummy me, I can't find the post. But its out there.
- Cenarion Expedition - Unidentified Plant Parts
- Sporeggar - Bog Lord Tendrils, Fertile Spores
- Lower City - Arakkoa Feathers
- Kurenai/Mag'har - Ogre Warbeads
- Consortium - Elekk Tusks, Oshu'gun Crystal Fragment, Ogre Warbeads, Zaxxis Badge, Ethereum Prison Keys
- Scryers - Firewing Signets, Sunfire Signets, Arcane Tomes
- Aldors - Mark of Kil'jaeden, Mark of Sargeras, Fel Armament
- Sha'Tar - Either of the Aldor or Scryer turnins
If you've got a gathering skill, please be 300 skill in it before coming to Outland. That way you can level it as you level from 60-70.
That said, get out there and level. The quests in Outlands are located in a few quest hubs for the most part. Get a bunch, group them as best you can and get out there and do them. Keep an eye out for dungeon quests and do them level appropriate. A nice change from the "Old World" is that most dungeon quests are picked up right outside the dungeon. And there's usually only 2 or 3 for a particular instance.
Here's my guidance on when you can do certain dungeons.
- Hellfire Ramparts & Blood Furnace - 58-60
- Slavepens & Underbog - 61-63
- Auchenai Crypts - 64-66
- Mana Tombs - 66-67
- Old Hillsbrad/Durnholde - 67-68
- Setthek Halls - 68-70
- Shadow Labyrinth - 70
- Shattered Halls - 70
- Steamvaults - 70
- Black Morass - 70
- Mechanar, Botanica, Arcatraz - 70
During the 60-70 grind you should be saving money for mounts. If you already have your epic ground mount, you're that much ahead. If not, you'll need to buy that. But at 70, you need to have the 900 gold for flying mount & training. All of the Tempest Keep Instances (Mechanar, Botanica, Arcatraz) are locked out unless you can fly up to them. Summoning doesn't work. Which effectively puts a cap on your progress until you can get the mount. See my articles on mounts for more information