Friday, April 18, 2008

Glyph of the Outcast VERSUS Glyph of Ferocity

I routinely look at what searches are generating hits for my blog. One thing that routinely shows up is the Glyph of the Outcast and the Glyph of Ferocity. As far as I know, I only mentioned this in one place, when talking about enhancements for the helmet.

Also, apparently, I'm one of the only places on the whole wide internet that has written anything about these two glyphs. Otherwise, I shouldn't be getting so many hits on those things. So let's review.

The Glyph of the Outcast (Revered with Lower City) gives the following:

  • +17 STR
  • +16 INT
The Glyph of Ferocity (Revered with Cenarion Expedition) gives the following:
  • +34 AP
  • +16 Hit Rating
Of all the classes for which Hit Rating (and not Spell Hit Rating) is the important statistic, two of them do not use mana at all. Thus the importance of intellect on the Outcast Glyph becomes zero and the Glyph of Ferocity is clearly the "better" choice. Congratulations DPS Warriors and Rogues. Your choice is simple. (I don't include Protection Warriors as there are better glyphs for tanking).

This leaves Retribution Paladins, Enhancement Shaman, Hunters and Druids (non-tank). Of these 4, the Attack Power formula for three of them has each point of Strength contribute two points of AP. For the hunter, each point of Strength adds one AP. Hunters, don't use the Outcast Glyph. The Ferocity is better.

Since for the remaining three classes 17 STR = 34 AP, we have only to look at the remaining stats to make the decision. 16 Intellect is equal to 240 Mana. Not insignificant, but not earth-shaking. The important thing is Hit Rating. There is a WowWiki page that talks about hit rating caps. It appears that the only class who cannot reap much greater benefit from hit rating is dual wielding windfury special attack shaman, who are hit rating capped from talents alone.

For all other classes, I'm going out on a limb here and say that the Ferocity glyph is substantially better. This is of course, just my (not-so) humble opinion. I could be wrong. I've not checked with Elitist Jerks.

I hope this clears up the Ferocity/Outcast glyph questions. And I suppose this may generate even MORE search hits in my page. But I can rest easy, knowing that the Outcast/Ferocity question has truly been answered.

No comments: